COULD YOU BE OUR 5TH WINNER?
Thank you for showing interest in our textile design competition 2017. It was set up in 2013 with the intention to support talented creatives and get their designs into the marketplace. At Bolt of Cloth we’re passionate about kiwi designers and believe it’s important to have fun, be bold & reflect yourself in your home! The winning design will be digitally printed onto cotton and made into 45cm cushion covers.
Please see below instructions for applying:
- Send your designs to us in a PDF or JPEG format. Showcasing 4 of your own designs which would be suitable to be printed on a 45cm cushion cover. Ideally they will need to complement each other by forming a collection. Please include one simplified design which ties the others cushions together. It is helpful to present designs in multiple colour ways and think how you can vary them (e.g. playing with scale). Presentation of your entry in a way that is clear, concise and well edited will be advantageous – no more than 4-5 colour ways per design is preferred.
- Your design can be hand drawn and digitally scanned or created using computer software for example Illustrator. This can be attached via an email or drop box if the file size is too large.
- Please give your collection a name and include a brief outline, explaining where your inspiration has come from, why you think our customers would love your designs on a cushion and mentioning the process you went through to develop them.
- The competition closes August 31st 2017 at Midnight. Please forward your application to Hailey firstname.lastname@example.org including your full name, address & telephone number. Also a link to your website if you have one.
- Once we have reviewed, we will let you know if you have been successful or not. The shortlisted designs will be shown on Facebook 14th September 2017 for the People’s Choice Award.
- The winner of the Textile Design Competition 2017 will be announced 21st September 2017. We will then work with you to create a final design/colour combination before going to print.
Can I enter with more than one design?
Yes, but we find that a refined viewpoint is more impactful varying colours & scale. We recommend you keep the amount of designs you enter between 1-4.
What is the deadline for entries?
All entries must be received by 31st August 2017 at Midnight.
Are there any other conditions to enter?
Yes – by entering you agree to have your design posted on Facebook as part of our separate Peoples Prize Award where our customers can vote for their favourite design. The winner will receive a gift voucher. Please note this is separate from the winner of the textile design competition. Please ensure you are available to work with us to get your design to market prior to Christmas 2017 and also be interviewed by Homestyle magazine.
How are the entries judged?
The person who wins the 2017 Award will present designs that have an edge. We’re looking for something unique & stylish which also has that market appeal. The entries for 2017 will be shortlisted by Suzannah Tonascia, owner of Bolt of Cloth, alongside our Tannery head office. The overall winner will be chosen by the editor of Homestyle, Julia Atkinson from Studio Home & Suzannah.
Who can enter?
Any New Zealand resident can enter. There is no age or experience limit.
I have entered in previous years; can I enter again?
Yes you can enter again, new designs would be beneficial. Previous winners are not eligible to enter again.
What’s the Prize?
The winning designer will work with Bolt of Cloth to launch a cushion collection get their work in a suitable format for sale in our 3 NZ stores & online. You will also earn a fee per cushion cover sold. Homestyle magazine will run a one page feature on the winner in a 2018 edition. You will also be featured in a Studio Home blog post & Bolt of Cloth newsletter plus social media. Your designs will be in homes around the globe, have a collection on our website, and you will of course receive 1 of each cushion cover.
There will also be 1 winner of the People’s Choice Award, who will be chosen by our followers on Facebook. They will receive a Bolt of Cloth $200 Gift Voucher.
Need inspiration? Head in store or browse our cushions online to get a feel for our current range. We’re looking for something unique.
We look forward to seeing your work! GOOD LUCK!