COULD YOU BE NEXT?
Thank you for showing interest in our textile design competition. Entries for 2020 are now open! It was set up in 2013 with the intention to support talented creatives and get their designs into the marketplace. The winning designs are digitally printed and made into cushion covers. Sold in-store & online with the artist receiving commission.
This year's brief: Bolt of Cloth is all about making your home a great place to be. For 2020 we would like entrants to be inspired by living in NZ and bring us designs with a distinctly Kiwi flavour, but in modern and original ways.
Please see below instructions for applying:
- Send your designs to us in a PDF or JPEG format. Showcasing 3-4 of your own designs which would be suitable to be printed on a 45cm cushion cover. Ideally they will need to complement each other to form a collection. One of these designs needs to be simple so it ties in with the other cushions. It is helpful to present designs in multiple colour ways and think how you can vary them (e.g. playing with scale). Please present your entry in a way that is clear, concise and well edited, such as a pdf document or powerpoint. This will be advantageous – preferably no more than 4-5 colour ways per design.
- Your design can be hand drawn and digitally scanned or created using computer software for example Illustrator. This can be attached via an email or drop box if the file size is too large.
- Please give your collection a name and include a brief outline, explaining where your inspiration has come from, why you think our customers would love your designs on a cushion and mentioning the process you went through to develop them.
- The competition closes August 3rd 2020 at Midnight NZDT. Please email your application to Hailey firstname.lastname@example.org including your full name, address & telephone number. Also a link to your website/social media if you have one.
- Once we have reviewed the designs, we will let you know if you have become a finalist or not. The shortlisted designs will be shown on Facebook for voting for the People’s Choice Award.
- We will aim to announce the winner of the Textile Design Competition 2020 on the 23rd September 2019. We will then work with you to create a final design/colour combination before going to print.
Can I enter with more than one design?
Yes, but we find that a refined viewpoint is more impactful. Varying colour ways & scales is helpful. We recommend you keep the amount of designs you enter between 1-4.
What is the deadline for entries?
All entries must be received by 3rd August 2020 at Midnight (NZDT).
Are there any other conditions to enter?
Yes – by entering you agree to have your design posted on Facebook where the public can vote for their favorite design. The winner will receive a Bolt of Cloth gift voucher and the kudos of being the People's Choice. Please note this is separate from the winner of the textile design competition. Please ensure you are available to work with us to get your design to market prior to Christmas.
How are the entries judged?
The person who wins the 2020 Award will present designs that have an edge. We’re looking for something unique & stylish with market appeal. The entries for 2020 will be shortlisted by the Bolt of Cloth team with the final winner chosen by Suzannah Tonascia, owner of Bolt of Cloth, alongside a guest judge.
Who can enter?
Any New Zealand resident can enter. There is no age or experience limit.
I have entered in previous years; can I enter again?
Yes you can enter again, new designs would be beneficial. Previous winners are not eligible to enter again.
What’s the Prize?
The winning designer will work with Bolt of Cloth to launch a cushion collection suitable for sale in our New Zealand store & online. You will also earn a fee per cushion cover sold. You will be featured in a Bolt of Cloth newsletter, social media and potential press coverage. Your designs will be in homes around the globe, have a collection on our website, and you will of course receive 1 of each cushion cover.
There will also be 1 winner of the People’s Choice Award, who will be chosen by our followers on Facebook. They will receive a Bolt of Cloth $200 NZD online gift voucher.
Need inspiration? Head in store or browse our cushions online to get a feel for our current range. We’re looking for something unique.
We look forward to seeing your work! GOOD LUCK!