COULD YOU BE NEXT?
Thank you for showing interest in our textile design competition. Entries for 2021 are now open!
The Bolt of Cloth Textil Design Award was set up in 2013 with the intention to support talented creatives and get their designs into the marketplace. The winning designs are digitally printed and made into cushion covers. These are sold in-store & online with the artist receiving commission.
This year's brief:
Bolt of Cloth is all about making your home a great place to be. For this years brief, we would like you to present any design you love - but to incorporate at least one of the key design colours suggested in the trends for 2022.
Click here to find out more about the colour trends.
Please see below instructions for applying:
- Send your designs to us in a PDF or JPEG format. Showcasing up to 8 of your own designs which would be suitable to be printed on a cushion cover. Pattern matching is not required. Ideally they will need to complement each other to form a collection. It is helpful to present designs in multiple colourways and think how you can vary them (e.g. playing with scale). Please present your entry clearly, in a way that is concise and well edited, such as a pdf document or powerpoint.
- Your design can be hand drawn and digitally scanned or created using computer software e.g. Illustrator or photoshop. This can be attached via an email or drop box if the file size is too large.
- Please give your collection a name and include a brief outline, explaining where your inspiration has come from, why you think our customers would love your designs and mentioning the process you went through to develop them.
- The competition closes August 30th 2021 at Midnight NZDT. Please email your application to Hailey firstname.lastname@example.org including your full name, address & telephone number. Include a link to your website/social media if you have one.
- Once we have reviewed the designs, we will let you know if you have been shortlisted. The shortlisted designs will be shown on Facebook for voting for the People’s Choice Award.
- We will aim to announce the winner of the Textile Design Competition 2021 by the 15th September 2021. We will then work with you to finalise your cushion collection for production.
Can I enter with more than one design?
Yes, but we find that a refined viewpoint is more impactful. Varying colour ways & scales of the design you most love is helpful. We recommend you keep the amount of designs you enter between 1-4, although you can submit up to 8.
What is the deadline for entries?
All entries must be received by 30th August 2021 at Midnight (NZDT).
Are there any other conditions to enter?
Yes – by entering you agree to have your design posted on Facebook where the public can vote for their favourite design. The winner of the People's Choice voting will receive a Bolt of Cloth gift voucher and the kudos of being the People's Choice. Please note this is separate from the winner of the textile design competition. The winner of the overall award needs to ensure they are available to to work with us to get their design to market prior to Christmas.
Who has the rights to my designs after the competition?
You do. Bolt of Cloth requests that the winner limits the use of their design to the printed cushion collection while that is sold in store (usually one year). After that, you are free to sell/use the design for other purposes. We have loved to see our winners going on to work with other production houses.
How are the entries judged?
The person who wins the 2021 Award will present designs that have something unique & will appeal to the Bolt of Cloth customer. The entries for 2021 will be shortlisted by the Bolt of Cloth team with the final winner chosen by Suzannah Tonascia, owner of Bolt of Cloth, alongside guest judge Bea Taylor, Deputy Editor of Your Home and Garden magazine.
Who can enter?
Any New Zealand resident can enter.
I have entered in previous years; can I enter again?
Yes you can. Previous winners are not eligible to enter again.
What’s the Prize?
The winning designer will work with Bolt of Cloth to launch a cushion collection suitable for sale in our New Zealand store & online. You will also earn a fee per cushion cover sold. You will be featured in a Bolt of Cloth newsletter, social media and potential press coverage. Your designs will be in homes around the globe, have a collection on our website credited to you as the designer, and you will of course receive 1 of each cushion cover. You retain the rights to your design.
There will also be 1 winner of the People’s Choice Award, who will be chosen by our followers on Facebook. They will receive a Bolt of Cloth $200 NZD online gift voucher.
Need inspiration? Head in store or browse our cushions online to get a feel for our current range. But remember, we are looking for something unique. We look forward to seeing your work! GOOD LUCK!